FUD

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Jan 2 04:57:06 CST 2004

Could we have a little less FUD in here please?

Windows sucks.  It's also a great collection of software, incredibly flexible
and powerful, incorporating some fantastic coding and some brilliant ideas.
Windows 95 was magnificently stable and reliable for it's day.  It multitasks
better than MacOS.  (Try doing anything while you're downloading a file over
a modem on a Mac.)

RedHat has become the Microsoft of the Linux world, with greed-based licensing
plans and a "we know what's good for you" atitude.

Both of them have plenty of REAL shortcomings, and we dont' need to bash them
over stuff that we heard from our uncle the car salesman about what the code
does in his back office.  Some guy who used a distribution ONCE several years
ago, and never figured out why it didn't work is hardly an expert on what's
good or bad about it.

I don't hear nearly enough FUD about SCO in here - how their code is bad,
their support sucks, theyhave lousy taste in clothes.  How come we're all
targeting RedHat instead?

RHL9 has been acclaimed by the relatively clueless press as one of the most
public-friendly releases of Linux every.  I'm sure Microsoft loves,
treasures, and archives every single RedHat-bashing email on the net, because
it weakens their biggest potential threat.  They can point to "linux experts"
who say that "the most user frieldly linux sucks" any time some suit is
considering a new server farm.

Let's concentrate on the real problems, not the imaginary ones.  Maybe we can
even fix 'em.

Leo, Chris and I just got a Samba share working on his yellowdog server, maybe
I can help you?