Debian vs Suse

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Jan 2 03:05:30 CST 2004

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 18:56:10 -0600 Jonathan Hutchins
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:
> On Thursday, January 01, 2004 06:38 pm, Karl Schmidt wrote:
>
> >  apt-get is much better - all the dependecies are taken care of
> for you.
>
> So it installs stuff without your permission, just to satisfy any
> dependency.
>
> Hmmm.

Well, if apt-get installs a virus, you know for certain that the virus is
at least GPLed.  :)

Seriously, dependency hell makes many people willing to accept just about
anything installed on their computers just to avoid being told "whoops,
you don't have yet.another.stupid.redundant.library.4.36.87.2.so
installed, can't do anything on your computer, nyah nyah nyah!".

Installing stuff without my permission in exchange for a one-way ticket
out of dependency hell is the lesser of two evils when the alternative is
dependency hell.

Still trying to find libjswat.so for OpenOffice.org that SuSE forgot to
install.