Debian vs Suse

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Fri Jan 2 00:38:12 CST 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> On Thursday, January 01, 2004 05:04 pm, Karl Schmidt wrote:
>

>>So far I'm really liking what I see.  Libranet earned their money by
>>added a few time saving tools. So far I like it better than Redhat. An
>>example helps - I needed to install e3 (a tiny text editor I've grown
>>used to) and all I did to make this happen was to open the
>>Admin-libranet - click on add package from internet - it asks for the
>>package name - and it is finished.
>

> On my RH systems, I would just do "up2date e3", and it would take care of it
> very quickly.  Mandrake's "urpmi", on the other hand, did not work reliably
> and eventually lost the ability even to install packages from the CD's.

try doing "up2date e3" it won't work because e3 is not part of rehat's
distribution. I think there are over 8000 packages available via
debian's apt-get.

> With any of the RPM systems, the "rpmfind" tool works great, and gives you
> automated installation of a much broader range of software.

I've used them both - apt-get is much better - all the dependecies are
taken care of for you.

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

If you shake a politician's hand, be sure count your fingers.