Debian vs Suse

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Thu Jan 1 23:04:57 CST 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Since release 7 or so, when they went into bankruptcy, they've been falling
> way behind.  I gather that if you pay to join the "club", you get access to
> much more current packages.

I paid for mandrake, but there just wasn't the polish that I'm seeing
with debian - and this is with the "testing" version of debian. Not sure
how much of it is due to using the libranet flavor. Debian has some nice
tools, but it seemed to be too far out on the bleeding edge.

  I've been testing distributions one at a time. I bought the libranet
installer for debian - and it went with out a hitch.

So far I'm really liking what I see.  Libranet earned their money by
added a few time saving tools. So far I like it better than Redhat. An
example helps - I needed to install e3 (a tiny text editor I've grown
used to) and all I did to make this happen was to open the
Admin-libranet - click on add package from internet - it asks for the
package name - and it is finished.

I've also noticed that for some reason debian includes exim, slypheed
and other gpl packages that I would have to go get with
redhat/mandrake/Suse.

The biggest reason I like Debian is that it seems to be the heart of the
linux community - my hunch is that most gpl developers are using debian
  and reading between the lines the other distributions get their
updates from debian anyway.

The installation defaults to the ice desktop, which I hadn't played with
before. It gives you the choice of using the kde or gnome file browser
(and others) - I will probably settle on kde.

I've also noticed that things run a bit faster than they did with my
suse and mandrake tests - not sure why?

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

If you shake a politician's hand, be sure count your fingers.