How do I fix a monitor resolution problem?

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Thu Jan 1 19:10:16 CST 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 12:20:07PM -0600, Duane Attaway wrote:

> This sounds like redhat's famous hardware detection scheme.  It is horibly
> buggy, broken, and even makes MS Windows hardware detection look good.
> Disable this feature from your boot services.  Its amazing what settings
> it can come up with.

I agree. I used RedHat for about a year and continually had problems
with its hardware detection (specifically in the area of ide and scsi
drives). It was a real pain, for the most part.

> The description of your hardware sounds like it has been "supported" for a
> few years at least.  A good minimalistic linux distribution should have no
> problems working with it.

So, Michael, I don't know if you are in a position to swap distros. I
just recently switched from RedHat to Slackware 9.1, and am nothing but
_pleased_ with Slack. The longer you use your current distro on your
machine, the more of a hassle it will be to change to another one. I
spent about 48 hours straight reconfiguring my system when I changed out
RedHat and installed Slack. The install was fairly easy (Slack website
has a ton of helps on it), but getting everything set back up the way I
had it... I'm still not there. Lotsa tweeking to do.

So, maybe it's killing a fly with a sledgehammer... but, could you
consider a switching distros?

And, I'm not looking for a distro flamewar. Everyone has their opinion
about which distro is best. These are just my 2 cents. I used RedHat and
it worked okay for me, but Slackware is gem! I'm enjoying it
tremendously. I haven't bumped into any of the proprietary quirks I had
when I was using RH.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4.1i on Slackware 9.1 Linux