How do I fix a monitor resolution problem?

Michael Shaw dbwizzard at kc.rr.com
Thu Jan 1 17:38:57 CST 2004

I have been running RH 9.0 in a dual boot environment with Win98SE for over a month now.  I
recently installed a new Microsoft Intelimouse Optical USB and PS/2 compatible mouse I received for
Christmas using the USB port (not the PS/2 adapter).  This 1st negative effect of this was to cause
Win98 to lock up sometimes after blanking the screen after inactivity.  I then tried to boot linux.
 It recognized the new mouse hardware but something happened to the resolution setting for the
video card I guess because the screen went to jibberish as soon as Xwindows started up (I'm using
an NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce Pro video adapter). So I reconnected the mouse using the PS/2
adapter.  This fixed Win98 but linux is still hosed.  I tried using the installation CD to see if I
could quickly get to the last step of the installation process where you set the resolution but I
wasn't able to figure out how.  I had similar problems setting the resolution when originally
installing linux using a newer GeForce card which apparantly was not supported yet.  I went through
the entire installation process multiple times trying different resolutions before I gave up and
replaced that card with the current one. I really don't want to go through another reinstall just
to fix a resolution problem.  Is there a way?

Michael Shaw
dbwizzard at kc.rr.com