Linux Useablity

Gerald Combs gerald at zing.org
Fri Feb 27 18:42:10 CST 2004

Brian Densmore wrote:

> Yep! Have this problem everytime I have to reconfigure CUPS.
> On the interesting side, while I was nmap-ping [wink] my new
> server (yes, I'm debugging my firewall rules) from home
> running ethereal I noticed my desktop advertising the CUPS
> shared printer on that machine (only to local LAN machines).
> Oh yeah and while we're ranting, what's with the man page on
> tethereal? YIKES! How many pages is it? I gave up after about

It is _many_ pages.  At last count, there were just short of 16,000
display filter fields in Ethereal and Tethereal.  This translates to
57,000 lines of man page text.  With version 0.9.16 we took the filter
fields list out of the ethereal(1) and tethereal(1) man pages and moved
them to the ethereal-filter(4) man page.  We need to split things up
further, but no one's gotten around to it yet.

> 30,000 lines. While I'm on the subject of man pages, anyone know
> how to navigate in them other than up/down/scroll xx lines? I
> suppose it's a vi interface? God, I hate vi! I need a beer.

 From glancing at the less(1) man page, it appears to use a mixture of
vi- and emacs-style navigation controls, along with its own.  E.g. you
can page down with ctrl-f or ctrl-v, or space.  To jump to a particular
spot in the file, e.g. line 5000, you can type "5000g".  Typing a
captial G takes you to the end of the file.  Adding a percent, e.g.
"55%g" takes you to that percentage position in the file.  The
"commands" section of the less(1) man page has a complete list.