dnsmasq vs. bind

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Mon Feb 9 04:04:19 CST 2004

Gerald Combs wrote:

>>Seems that DHCP and DNS should share the same data base.
>

> Especially since they're maintained by the same outfit:
>
>     http://www.isc.org/

The kludge for DDNS created changes to the .db files that are not human
readable unless you wait for some unspecified time.  My take is that it
was code by committee

>>What the world needs is for someone to create a new bind package. In a
>>similar way that exim replaced sendmail.
>

> Both Dents and djbdns are trying to do this.  Probably others as well.

Not familiar with dents (looks static after 1999) - Seems like there was
a problem with the license for djbdns?

Is anyone using dnsmasq? What does bind do that dnsmasq doesn't?

Has anyone else picked up that one more reason that OSS software is
getting so good is that there is a lot more competition in the
GNU/Linux/OSS world than in the M$ world? It is a real nonintuitive
reality.

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049    FAX(785) 841-0434

Cry a river, build a bridge, get over it.