Survival Time for Unpatched Systems Cut by Half

djgoku djgoku at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 17:47:08 CDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:37:50 -0500, Brian Kelsay <blkelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/17/1347214&tid=172
>
> "Turns out, this number dropped from about 40 minutes last year, to 20 minutes this year. ....
Either way, 20 minutes is not long enough to download patches."

> Again, this is why you need a firewall.  It took probably over an hour to load all current
patches on a Windows 2000 box I loaded over the weekend.  6-10 reboots later, no infection or
attack reached this PC because it was snuggly tucked behind my Linux firewall.  Thank you IPCop.

> Brian Kelsay

Yah I read that I feel sorry for all those windows boxes, hope they
have a good firewall and security set in place, I know a firewall
doesn't total protect you, but is the first step.

I read another article today in PCWORLD mag, that said they thought
that a new viri that would use IM clients and be able to spread in
seconds instead of minutes or hours. Kinda of crazy to think of that
stuff, if that happened jabber servers would be the only chat system
available. =)

--
dj_goku
-www.djgoku.com-