Wireless Saga

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Apr 29 15:09:15 CDT 2004

On Thursday, April 29, 2004 08:23 am, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> I'm wondering why, if the chipset company is giving away source,
> that some distros haven't added these drivers?  THe chip company is ADMTek
> in Tiawan.

I don't know about the 2635, but the SMC 2435W is an ACX100 chipset, and there
are license issues that prevent the Open Source driver for it from being
"pure" enough for the kernel.  Among other things, the driver being developed
at sourceforge (acx100.sourceforge.net) still uses some "firmware" files from
the Windows drivers.  (The ACX100 is a Texas Instruments chipset that's used
by a number of companies.)