debian nic drivers

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Tue Apr 27 22:44:03 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 12:13, Brian Densmore wrote:
> Well, I've run into a snag with debian and device drivers.
> My IBM NIC has apparently stopped functioning 100%. It still
> gets recognized ands the driver loads, but has itermittent
> functionality (mostly off). So I picked up a dlink (it is an
> 8139too). Unfortunately, the version of debian I loaded with
> Bonzai, and also stock debian, do not have the yenta_socket
> driver. For some reason the dlink (dfe690) only works if you
> have a yenta_socket driver. So I took the plunge and made the
> knoppix install work on my laptop, except now X doesn't work.
>
> Anyone running a debian version that has the yenta_socket
> driver?
>
> I suppose I could always return the dlink and try a
> different NIC, but 8139too should work. Even the 8139too drivers
> that don't work actually list my NIC as supported (I did a hex
> dump of the dirver). I suppose I could go through the the process of doing a stock debian install
with all 7 cds and then upgrade the kernel
> and modules. But somehow, I feel that is a rather major project.
> The way I see this is a bug in debian and not the driver, and
> "stable" shouldn't have bugs like this, pcmcia NICs need to work or
> you're dead in the water. To me this should be second in priority
> after fixing kernel bugs. I'm very disappointed. Debian was looking
> so robust.

Which version are you using, stable, testing, or unstable?  Stable
doesn't usually include new kernels, only exploit fixes, so if you are
running an older kernel with stable, you might consider making your
own.  It's not a terrible process.  If you are using testing or
unstable, the newest kernel in both 2.4 and 2.6 should be available with
modules via apt-get install kernel-image-2.x<tab><tab>.

Let me know if you need help with kernel compiling or upgrading debian.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>
http://linuxwebguy.com