laptop NIC

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Apr 19 14:05:33 CDT 2004

Well it's been one of those weekends. I need help with
my NIC. It's a zircom tulip cardbus under the IBM name.
Saturday night it seems to have quite on me. It still
get recognized if I pull it out and put it back in.
The networking loads and ifconfig says it is up, my routes
are good, but I can't communicate over the lan. Local
pinging to the local ip works, but I doubt that it uses the
nic for that. When the tulip_cb driver loads it spits out some
info on the NIC and it all look ok, but I never get the
message that it is being set to 100Tx FD. It does tell me that
the card is advertising 100Tx FD capable. I really shouldn't say
never, occasionally it will flash across the terminal that it is
now in 100Tx FD, but it goes away as soon it does. It also appears
to be MII cabable, but mii-tool tells me it is unsupported. I
unfortunately didn't put Mr. Becker's mii-diag on this box, so
I can't diagnose the card without doing some sneaker-netting. I
looked for things I could do to try to diagnose the error or
to force the card up (even though the system thinks it is). So
any ideas or is it time for a new card? And if it is time for a
new card, any one have one they'd care to part with?

Thanks,
Brian