OT: Printer SPAM?

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Apr 15 16:27:27 CDT 2004

Too much man power required to drive around to all the wireless networks, plus if any kind of
logging is going on it's likely they could capture your MAC address from the message you send to
the printer.  You could alter your MAC, but most people won't go to that trouble.

There was a posting either on this list or Slashdot from someone that was wardriving and found some
unsecured networks.  What should he ethically do?  Notify them of there unprotected status or do
nothing?  How to notify them?  Send a message to their shared printer, email, letter, burning bush,
hack the server?  I think the final consensus was to anonymously send a note or do nothing, lest he
be accused of malicious activity.  How much is someone else's stupidity worth to you.  If you know
it is your neighbor you could mention it off hand, by the way I can see the pr0n on your shared
directory over wireless.  Or if it is a company across the street from your's and you are friendly
w/ the admin, you could drop some hints and advice.  But you probably don't want your fingerprints
on anything like a letter and don't want them to think you were browsing their private network to
see what was open.  Use a set of rubber gloves to handle a printout w/ a link to  a wireless
lockdown howto.  Leave it on the doorstep.

This may not apply to you as it was probably just a home network, but was meant to be a general
broad statement.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Leo J Mauler <> 04/15/04 09:29AM >>>
<snip>

So I'm thinking about this, that I can print anything I want to their
printers from the safety and security of my own home.  I could moon them
over the wireless network, or send their printers letters and photos from
"the other woman".  Or print SPAM on their printers.

So what with email becoming a chore and laws cracking down on spammers,
and existing fax laws probably not applying to printing to network
printers over a wireless network, anyone else think someone will come up
with SPAM print jobs by sitting in a parking lot and printing to all the
local wireless printers?

"Warspamming"?