Embedded Linux (humorous)

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sun Apr 11 13:23:24 CDT 2004

Don't know if this is old news, but there is a new project: to embed
Linux in the "Big Mouth Billy Bass", the plastic fish mounted on the wall
which spouts song lyrics if you walk too close to it.

http://bigmouth.here-n-there.com/

>From the website:

This project uses the power of Linux to add brains to the Big Mouth
Billy Bass. The goal is to use any Linux device--desktop or embedded--to
make the Big Mouth Billy Bass say or act any way you want! That's right,
we want to convert Big Mouth Billy to the least expensive peripheral
you'll ever buy.

Project Summary

I propose to use the MZ104 to control the popular animatronic toy Big
Mouth Billy Bass. At the early stages of this project, the MZ104 will
dramatically enhance the current behavior of the toy with user selected
audio clips and better motion coordination. Later, by adding a microphone
and CCD camera to the system, the toy will be transformed into a webcam
or a videoconferencing station. We will make the following improvements
to Big Mouth Billy Bass.

* User defined audio clips

* Lip syncing

* Video recording

* Audio recording

By adding this functionality to the bass, in addition to networking
protocols, the bass will be transformed into an H.323 compliant video
teleconferencing host. It will be possible to use Microsoft NetMeeting or
CUSeeMe to connect to your bass at home and talk with your loved one
ones!