making debian packages

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Apr 8 14:59:43 CDT 2004

I made my first debian package lastnight/this-morning.
It actually worked, well sort of. I made one mistake
in my depends and as a result the software won't run.
I included a newer library than what the code is written for.
There are actually two versions of the software one
static-linked and the other dynamic linked. I created
the package for the dynamic linked version. It needs
libstdc++2.8. But I can't find that lib anywhere.
I did find something that looks like it has libstdc++ version 2.8.3.
I installed that and tried running the program, but came
up with an error about an undefined symbol. I tried running the
static version and it runs, it's real ugly graphically and
I'm not entirely sure the static version is working 100% as some
text boxes are empty that really should not be. I was wondering if
there are any package maintainers on the list and/or libstdc++
gurus? I also created a debian archive on the box and was able
to apt-get the software. It was rewarding watching it match
dependencies and go pull everything.

The application is ftree. If anyone is wanting a package for some app,
let me know. I'll try and build one and post it in a debian archive
for apt-get to pull it from. This is fun.

PS. I will only take serious requests. ;')

 Brian

"Three OS's from corporate-kings in their towers of glass,
Seven from valley-lords where orchards used to grow,
Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,
one from the dark lord Gates on his dark throne
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.
one OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
one OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie."    john thrum