ATA100 80 wire/40 pin (was RE: kernel init error)

Kendrick-LUG kulua at linux2themax.com
Fri Apr 2 06:24:05 CST 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>On Thursday April 1 2004 01:47 am, Kendrick-LUG wrote:
>

>>western digital puts out a install disk with utilities just for this
>>purpose.
>>

>Many's the time I've had to explain to a computer owner that because they were
>using a non-standard driver to mount their hard drive, NONE of their data is
>recoverable.  We can re-use the drive if we install it properly and do a
>low-level format.
>
>Fortunately that's not an issue with Linux.

actually i wasnt talking about ezdrive or what ever each company was
taling about.  there is 2 parts tomost "install" disks now days  one is
the stupid drive mangler and the other is brand specific hardware
diagnostics and utilities  the latter two is what i was refering to
ontrack,ezdrive  etc should be burned on the spot ;)