DHCP and Static Addresses

Lucas Peet lpeet at velociti.us
Sun Sep 28 03:29:39 CDT 2003

Ok.  Say I'm on a network that serves out IP's via DHCP.  Say I set my
IP address statically, using an IP address in the DHCP server's address
pool.  What happens when the DHCP server tries to hand out the IP
address from it's pool that I set statically?  There would then be 2
machines on the network with the same IP address. Which machine would
get booted offline?  Would they both?  How would the static one know
when it was okay to come back online again?

Also, is there a way to rebuild /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-ethX.cache using the
.info file manually (say to re-request a specific IP address which the
lease has expired)?  Is there any other way to force a request of a
specific IP address from the DHCP server, and have it give it to you, if
it's still available?

Thanks for all your input.

-Lucas