Electricity: Ground?

James Sissel James.Sissel at labone.com
Wed Sep 17 13:34:06 CDT 2003

Modern code requires an 8' ground rod driven below ground level AND an
connection to the water inlet within 6' of entrance (closer is better).  The
ground must be attached to a pipe that comes directly into the house (no
valve between the ground and pipe).  Each ground should be an independent
connection to the panel.  Some power companies (KCPL) require all ground
connections in the panel.  Others want it in the meter.  Some want both.