Migrating from the Legacy Diskette Drive: Ford Motor Company Case Study

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Tue Sep 16 20:45:20 CDT 2003

   Daniel Matthis wrote:

     This does raise a question I have as I've yet to try it. How easy
     is it to use one of those USB drives with Linux? Does it autoload
     or do you have to mount the device?

   All file systems in Linux must be mounted. There are utilities out
   there to automatically mount a device on "hotplug". USB Flash drives
   go through the USBSTORAGE modules which in turn use the SCSI layer to
   communicate. You can format them, partition them and use any
   filesystem you like. You can even install a boot loader. Hope this
   helps.