Migrating from the Legacy Diskette Drive: Ford Motor Company Case Study

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 20:31:42 CDT 2003

Daniel Matthis wrote:

> Brian Kelsay wrote:

>> I actually don't mind this now that the flash memory has gotten
>> stable, cheap, reliable and has way more capacity.  Luckily the USB
>> vs. Firewire fight has settled and USB won for the smaller devices w/
>> lower required capacity.  The last step was getting the BIOS to
>> recognize it as a boot device.  What I don't understand is why a
>> floppy drive still costs $15-20.  I realize that they have come down
>> in price and that some places are cheaper than this, but still this is
>> the average price in a store.

> This does raise a question I have as I've yet to try it. How easy is it
> to use one of those USB drives with Linux? Does it auto load or do you
> have to mount the device?
>
> - Daniel
I have mounted my mp3 device under linux with no problems.  You must
have the usb mass-storage module loaded first and USB support.  It does
not automount, but I suppose it could.  I'm sure it eventually will in
desktop oriented distros.

I found this the other day. might help you get that usb flash drive working.

Using a USB flash drive with linux
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1256701,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

It is exactly how I get it to work.  Thanks Hal for the help last meeting.