Migrating from the Legacy Diskette Drive: Ford Motor Company Case Study

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 16:01:40 CDT 2003

http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/topics/vectors_2003-ford.htm
Dell is helping the Floppy on its way out the door.

I actually don't mind this now that the flash memory has gotten stable,
cheap, reliable and has way more capacity.  Luckily the USB vs. Firewire
fight has settled and USB won for the smaller devices w/ lower required
capacity.  The last step was getting the BIOS to recognize it as a boot
device.  What I don't understand is why a floppy drive still costs
$15-20.  I realize that they have come down in price and that some
places are cheaper than this, but still this is the average price in a
store.