IBM Deathstar Hell

Kris Bodenheimer numa at thenuma.com
Mon Sep 15 20:44:11 CDT 2003

  You might
> try asking them to give you a different drive as these are crap and
> you've already replaced it 10 times.

Well, IBM sold its drive division to Hitachi.

This is actually the 1st time this specific drive has failed, it is also
fairly old at 30GB, the other drives were 40s, 60s, 80s, and a couple of
120s, about six months ago lost an 80 and a 100.... I have had really
really bad luck.  I quit using these drives when the 75GXP stuff, and
60GXP stuff was publicized, however, those machines have been in use
ever since, and now, well, the fallout is occuring.
I'd think they'd realize there is a
> problem if you've gone through 10 of them.

Yep, I will NEVER use them again.
Our IBM drives usually aren't
> that bad. We have several 18 gig SCSI that have been around for 6 or 7
> years with no problem.

same here, my IBM SCSI stuff is great.

> Oh and if this is the IBM 75GXP then you may want to look here:
> http://www.sheller.com/ibmclassaction.htm

HEHE, I won't hold my breath.
> As there appears to be an attempt for a class action lawsuit on these
> drives. And if you want some fun reading just google: IBM hard drive
> deathstar

Have been, somedays its enough to make a person sick.