Comcast faster speeds on the horizon

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 23:25:31 CDT 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:

> Paul Taylor wrote:
>
>>http://www.netwide.net/users/CableGuy/HowtoUncapDocsisCompliantCableModems.htm

> If you get caught, you will lose access to RR forever. Don't get caught.
> AFAIK, when the cable modem comes online and handshakes with the
> upstream network, a MD5 hash of the config file is exchanged and if they
> do not match, you get reported. Cable modems that don't handshake aren't
> allowed on the network. You better make very sure that the .bin file is
> lost when a power cycle occurs. Chuck, in our LUG, who is a Tier 3 Tech
> at RR, knows a lot more about this. I'd ask him.

Do you know if Comcast does a similar check?  I'm not planning on
uncapping, becasue I don't want to lose the great service I have, but it
would be nice to know.  I just purchased my own DOCSIS compliant cable
modem to replace the one I had to lease and I would not be opposed to
looking at the internals and learning about it.

--
" * Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera, Inc.  * Neither Greg Page nor
Caldera, Inc. admit liability nor provide * warranty for any of this

Hmmm.