WINE.

ismgr ismgr at atchisonkansas.net
Fri Sep 12 17:55:39 CDT 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 11:18 pm, Leo J Mauler wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:11:47 +0000 Jonathan Hutchins
>
> <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:
> > On Wednesday 10 September 2003 2:17 am, Chris Wagner wrote:
> > > Need help finding out about this app.
> >
> > Check their web site, or codeweavers.
>
> Or TransGaming, though to get binaries you have to buy a subscription.
> TransGaming charges $5 a month, though you can get temporary memberships
> for three, six, or nine months. If you pay just $5 to start, you have to
> commit to $5 a month regular.
>
> > > Is it a Windows emulator, and if so, does it work fairly well?
> >
> > WINE stands for "WINE Is Not An Emulator".
>
> And that was the impolite response.
>
> The polite response is that WINE doesn't emulate Windows.  A true
> Emulator would provide the entire working environment for the
> applications, in essence you'd be turning your Linux box into a Windows
> box for the duration of the Emulator.
>
> No, WINE instead merely handles Windows API calls from Windows
> applications, allowing much less overhead than would be required on a
> true Emulator.
>
> Does it work fairly well?  Yes, for what they've worked hard to emulate.
> Microsoft Office works fairly well.  If you're wanting to do Windows
> Games, you should fork over the cash for the TransGaming subscription and
> get their WineX binaries, for fairly stable DirectX API calls.  You also
> get to vote on what games TransGaming works harder on getting to run
> under WineX.  They're up to version 3.0 of WineX.
>
> If you want to run an entirely open-source shop, WineX is not open
> source.  WINE is the only open-source solution.

> Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Well,

I definitely need something cheap. Like free would be cool.  ;-)

What's the easiest way to use it?

I mean, I installed the rpm and can't seem to call any of the programs (my
lack of knowledge).

I read the man pages on the site, but I didn't get a clear picture of how to
operate within its environment.

Could someone help me out?

Thanks!

Chris