My new Hp Pavilion ze4400 Laptop

S Maggard torch at linuxjunkies.com
Fri Sep 12 10:22:20 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 12:22, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> On Thursday 11 September 2003 3:49 pm, Brian Densmore wrote:
>
> > 2)RedHat 9 (Wow! have you seen the price for the Pro version!?)
>
> How stupid can RedHat be if the "free" version is a "Duh" and the "Pro"
> version is the only one with "Wow!"?  I tried the public release of RH9, and
> it stank.  Didn't have MP3, didn't have interfaces for importing data or
> fonts from a Windows partition.  Sure the interface was smooth - so's a blank
> slate, which is pretty much what I got.  The phrase "dumbed down" comes to
> mind.
>
> That and announcing that they're going to stop distributing updates for the
> non-subscription releases and I think they're going very much in the wrong
> direction.
>
> They will HAVE to release at least the source of the subscription distros,
> althoug going through a Gentoo compile to end up with a RedHat installation
> is pretty useless...
I think the MP3 thing has been brought up before, and Redhat took it out
due to copyright issues, but support can be installed in 2 easy steps.
(1)Download mpeg321 from your favorite rpm warehouse.
(2)rpm -ivf the package.

And as for the updates, there is more than one way to update Redhat, yes
the up2date tool is nice, but you can also use apt4rpm.  Which if you
want to know how to use the linuxjunkies team has put up a howto on at
http://linuxjunkies.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=4&page
=1
--
S Maggard <torch at linuxjunkies.com>