My new Hp Pavilion ze4400 Laptop

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Sep 11 15:17:32 CDT 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 2:15 pm, Charles, Joshua Micah (UMKC-Student)
wrote:

> I just bought a new laptop yesterday, and I'm looking to install linux on
> it.  The distribution I currently use is Lycoris Desktop/LX, becuase it's
> pretty to look at, but it doesn't install (they use older software, with
> emphasis on stability), so I'm looking for suggestions on what distro I
> should try next.  I'm considering buying either Xandros or Lindows(God
> forbid), or possibly Suse becuase of the support that comes with it, ...

Why such fringe distributions?  Except for SuSE, most of those are fairly
non-standard releases.  What about DebIan or RedHat/Mandrake?  You're far
more likely to find new hardware support in RedHat/Mandrake, or SuSE.

> I'm really looking for the cheapest solution possible.

Twenty cents for a CD-R, download three ISO's and it'll cost you sixty.
CheapBytes will probably sell you a set for about $15.

HP has just begun offering Mandrake on some of their systems, why not check
with them?