news servers

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Tue Sep 9 02:49:06 CDT 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> That was me.  I have Comcast, but I don't think they have a newsfeed at all.

Newservers that carry the binaries groups move several *terabytes* daily.
A service able to provide these resources usually must take financial
resources.  Fortunately, many do provide this service at a low yearly
cost.  Larger ISPs may offer full newsgroup services rather well, such as
RR.  I believe RR uses a Sun E1000 or something if I remember right.  Not
a piece of hardware we can pick up at Microcenter and do ourselves.  It
takes a real backbone connection to peer with other reliable servers to
not miss articles.  With everybody and their brother posting videos of the
latest events on this distributed network we call usenet news, those
groups are bursting at the seams.

If Comcast is unable to support the binaries newsgroups, I may recommend
and have also used newsguy.com for several years.  They have great service
and long retention times.  I believe they charge $70 a year.  Full html
with javascript interface or use your favorite nntp capable client.  They
claim to have maximum daily usage limits, but I haven't found it yet.  I
hear other commercial nntp providers also provide excellent service.