Spam filtering

Jason Crowe jcrowe at cmuonline.net
Mon Sep 8 15:11:18 CDT 2003

>> As far as I can tell, the recipe calls for stripping the attachment
>> based on specified type and then dumping the message in a
>> .messages-rejected directory
>>
>> However, when I check the directory itself, I find no instance of
>> anything there......
>>
>> Should I be seeing any data in that directory when a message is run
>> through the procmail filtering and thrown in that directory?
>>
>> Here's the contents of the file:
>>
>> VERBOSE=off
>> LOGABSTRACT=yes
>> LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log
>> COMSAT=no
>>
>> :0 B
>>
>> ## subject lines with 'adv' or 'advertisement' or some other variation
>> :0:
>> * ^Subject: [?ADV.*]?
>> /var/log/spam

Your first recipe looks for apps/audio file and puts the message in
.messages-rejected.
I would change .messages-rejected to use a traditional mbox file (like
the spam recipe) rather than a "maildir format". I would also put in the
full path to the file.

If you have a chance check out bogofilter. It's a spam filtering app
that works great with procmail.

Jason