Firewall issues?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Sep 6 06:30:02 CDT 2003

On Friday 05 September 2003 4:15 pm, Brian Densmore wrote:

> I have someone who is trying to connect to our FTP
> server, but they are running a McAfee firewall.

> They can get out on the internet. But they cannot
> connect to the server ...

They should try using passive vs. non-passive mode (and probably read the docs
for their firewall).  McAfee is not really known as one of the better
firewall packages - just one of the better known.

> ... and when they try pinging it ...

That's a seperate issue.

> ... they get unknown host errors.

Which is a DNS error at their end.  Possibly switch to ZoneAlarm or BlackIce
(if they can't swing a seperate firewall box).