Mapping remote linux drive in windows...

Kris Bodenheimer numa at thenuma.com
Fri Sep 5 17:24:50 CDT 2003

A VPN between windows/linux is a totally achievable hurdle.  I do this
very thing RIGHT NOW, though I chose to purchase 2 linksys hardware VPN
routers because of:
1.  Distributing important tasks in a modularized way is beneficial to
network stablity
2.  The loads already present on my samba server have me scrambling to
do anything to free resources.

That being said.  You can do a samba connections once that VPN is up.

Performance over the link is good, and is well within usable ranges.  My
implementation is over 256k DSL lines.  Also, if you have exceptionally
large data transfers be sure to investigate the perforamnce of the
different algorithms that your IPSec supports.  Some ARE faster than others.

OR.

You could use ssh tunneling.  I am less familiar with it, but a good way
to automate is to use ssh-agent.

Kris