Another Sparc hardware question (video this time)

Kurt kessler2k at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 04:42:13 CDT 2003

I have a Sun Ultra5 and would like to have better
video than what is standard. I plan on putting gentoo
64 on here, but wanted to test this out first. I have
an Nvidia geforce pci card laying around and decided
to give it a go. Now, booting up, its not recognized,
so I booted to the onboard vga controller. In the
Debian Infocenter, it shows this for the Nvidia card:

02:02.0  VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation
NV17 [GeForce MX 420] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 40,
IRQ 6940992
Memory at 000001ff01000000 (32bit, non-prefetcable)
[disabled][size=16m]
Memory at 000001ff08000000 (32bit, prefetchable)
[disabled][size=128m]
Memory at 000001ff1000000 (32bit, prefetchable)
[disabled][size=512k]
Expansion ROM at 0000000000020000 [size=128k]
Capabilities: <available only to root>

Now, im logged in as root. Is there something that I
must change in Debian to use this card? Or do I need
to make a change in the open boot prom? There is so
LITTLE info on this... I find it hard to believe that
i'm the first person to have thought of this...

Kurt