OT: looking for text file find and replace utility

david nicol whatever at davidnicol.com
Thu Sep 4 08:07:06 CDT 2003

Here's one approach

Make a simple perl program that expands your 400 find/replace terms
into 400 lines of the form

	s/bcatb/dog/g;

and call that script subs.pl

Then invoke perl with the -p switch which causes the whole script
to get wrapped in a wrapper which processes input and writes output

also use the -i switch which causes the named data files to get replaced
with the processing output

Make a backup of your scripts in case something goes wrong, then
run

perl -pi subs.pl script1 script2 script3 script4 sctip5 script6

And then all the substitutions will be performed in all the scripts.

--
David Nicol / If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.
                                        http://gallaghersmash.com