HP-LaserJet_1000 on Linux

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 01:45:28 CDT 2003

Monty J. Harder wrote:

> "jose sanchez" <j_r_sanchez at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Have anyone being able to get HP LaserJet 1000 printer
>>to work under Linux? I am currently trying to set it
>>up on Debian 3.0 using the foo2zjs driver and foomatic
>>but, I haven't being able to get it to print.
>

>   Not likely.  LJ1000 series is a GDI aka host-based aka 'WinPrinter'.  Some
> of those have been successfully reverse-engineered, but damn few.

HP has actually written some of the recent drivers themselves.  Try
looking at hp.com and see what driver they recommend for this printer.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl11859&locale=en_US&taskId=
135&prodSeriesId=45674&prodTypeId=18972
http://hp.sourceforge.net/
Read the Notes section on here:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1000

Apparently you have to send the firmware to the printer.  Weird.

--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC