Message from M$ whilst using Gaim

David Ryman cmcfadden at kc.rr.com
Mon Sep 1 19:19:00 CDT 2003

I'm using Gaim (v0.59.8) with a hotmail address on SuSE (8.2) Linux PC. Soon
after starting it up I receive an IM from M$ as follows:-

(13:54:52) messenger at microsoft.com: You are running a version of messenger
that requires an immediate security update. Please visit
http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx to complete the update.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Obviously there are no updates applicable, and I can switch to non M$ email
account, but I was wondering if there was any grounds for believing what they
claim, or is this assuming I'm running M$ and they can't detect a patch so
therefore I must be vulnerable, or is there something more sinister going on?
--
David Ryman
cmcfadden at kc.rr.com