Cron/Xwindows

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Oct 25 14:23:46 CDT 2003

On Friday 24 October 2003 02:24 pm, Gerald Combs wrote:

> But KDE (and Gnome) has SKINS!  And THEEEMZ!  Even if it takes up 1150 of
> your 1200 MHz you've gotta have translucent, throbbing menus with drop
> shadows!  Your software won't be any more _usable_, but it'll be oh so
> much prettier.

I don't use any of that myself.

Admittedly, the code for it is it's own bloat, and I could bypass it by
selecting a simpler DE, but there is functionality bundled along with it.

I know I'm not alone in this.  I'm hoping some of our more dedicated advocates
will take the blinders off so they can see some of the things that can
realistically be improved.

This isn't a crusade, I don't demand that this particular item be fixed, it
just comes to my attention as I expand into full-time Linux, and I thought
some spirited discussion would be healthy for us all.