was re:interoperability

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 25 04:22:09 CDT 2003

>From: DCT Jared <jsmith at datacaptech.com>
>To: <kclug at kclug.org>
>Subject: Leaving interoperability out of the KCLUG booth; was: Re: FW: Do
>you know your schedule for ITEC yet?
>Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:47:35 -0500
>
>After troubling over the ethics of helping put together
>last year's Open Source for Windows CD, I'm more
>resolute that KCLUG should focus on Linux, not Open
>Source in general. Let Open Source awareness cascade
>out from the visibility of Linux, Apache, ethereal, etc,
>and Open Source will always remain a principle--if it is
>the other way around, Open Source becomes a commodity,
>a 'feature'.
>
>I'm quite amenable to the idea that KCLUG promote
>only Linux, leaving all Windows interoperability demos
>in the hands of other folks: solution providers, integrators,
>and consultants. KCLUG can survive quite well in the role
>of being Kansas City's premier resource for pure LINUX
>knowledge.
>
>Let others pick up the slack of providing linux-to-windows
>knowledge, rather than dissipate our focus.
>
>In short, I agree with zscoundrel:
> >The inter-operblity sounds like a cool idea, but personally, I think
> >there is a possibility that it could backfire on us.  We are the 'Kansas
> >City Linus Users Group', not the 'Slow To Sub-light Speed So we can Show
> >off Buggy Software Group'.  (STSSSBS)  I think that having a 'doze box
> >in the booth could be misconstrued or just flat out misrepresented by
> >those that fear Linux or by their lapdog media people.
>
>-Jared
>
>p.s. I hope we don't use Linus, just his software. :-)

Now, do please consider having a xp or me box with Opera/Openoffice etc to
expressly show the way .
NO amount of fevered pitchmongering can compare to " look at your company
web site " and then telling them  " By the way- that's open source software
showing it to you " On a windows box !

Not to say that verbal pitching is wasted , rather to say that after we spot
a prospect- we steer them to our demo box and set that hook by their own
hands on a keyboard .

Oren

" Stable , Fast ,Cheap . having to choose only 2 is no longer good enough "