Modem Question

Rodney Clowdus rclowdus at grm.net
Thu Oct 23 22:54:07 CDT 2003

Hello Folks
	It's been about a year since our family moved to Ravenwood which
is not far from Maryville.  I miss going to the kclug meetings in Kansas
City.   Subscribing to the kclug mailing list is the next best thing.
	Ok now for the modem question.  When I lived in Raytown the
telephone lines were limited to 28k modem speed.  I purchased a 33.6
us robotics modem.  Now that I've moved out here in the rural, lucky for
me the dialup connection is only two blocks from my home.
	I'm thinking about forking out about sixty dollars for a 56k
modem, but before I do I would like to ask around to make sure that I'm
not wasting money.  Currently I consistently download software files from
ftp sites at around 2655 and 2896 b/s.   I was wondering what I could
expect from a 56k modem versus a 33.6k modem in realistic download speed.
	I would like to go DSL but I cannot afford the fifty dollars a
month fee. If the speed gain is only marginal I'll just stay with the 33.6
k modem.  Thanks in advance for any input.
Rodney