flac-xmms plugin problems

Tim Reid darkweb4 at gbronline.com
Mon Oct 13 16:56:36 CDT 2003

I recently downloaded and installed the CL coder/decoder for FLAC.  I
was interested in the FLAC project for two reasons:  Lossless
compression and FLAC's recent partnership with the Vorbis group.  I
wanted to also be able to play .flac files with XMMS.

I downloaded the precompiled bins for the codec and the XMMS plugin.  I
rip'ed and encoded a whole CD and then found out that XMMS won't play my
files :S  what's the problem?!

here's what I've done:  I put the libxmms-flac.so file (the plugin) in
/lib/share/xmms/Input/  where the limited documentation on the plugin
told me to put the file.  I then restarted XMMS, and tried to play my
.flac files... no joy.  But, if I go to the preferences in XMMS, I can't
see the FLAC plugin, nor can I play .flac files.  BTW, I'm running
Mandrake 9.0 with the standard KDE (don't know the version)

Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,

Tim