linux PVR's

Zscoundrel Zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Fri Oct 10 14:43:27 CDT 2003

I never said that I expected everyone to right every note as a HOWTO.  I
just complimented someone on taking a little extra time to think the
advice through, and to give extra info to help others avoid complications.

I have seen 3 step "just do a, then b, then c" notes posted here where
steps b and c were not standard linux commands.  They were probably
custom written aliases to linux commands, but since the poster didn't
mention what they were for or what they did or post the code, the
procedure fell far short of being helpful. . .

Just something to keep in mind when posting advice or answering
questions.  Try to put yourself in heir shoes and not to be dependent on
customizations you have made to your machine.

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>On Friday 10 October 2003 2:53 am, Zscoundrel wrote:
>

>>I have tried many of the responses
>>posted here and sometimes find them to be like walking along a railroad
>>track at night during a full moon after a party.  Every couple of steps
>>I stumble because something was left out and I didn't see the space
>>between the ties until too late!
>>

>I think we need to realise the differences between friendly community advice
>and a ready-to-publish HOWTO here.  In the list, we are suggesting and
>discussing and evolving a solution.  It really isn't fair to expect everybody
>who's willing to help to be as thorough as a HOWTO file.
>
>On the other hand, we get some pretty good material here, and with a little
>brush up, someone could edit a discussion down to a helpful procedure.  I'm
>sure it would be welcome on the web site.

Those who understand binary, and those who don't