Dialin Access to Cable Modem

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Tue Nov 18 11:28:12 CST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:45:26 -0600 Jonathan Hutchins
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:
> On Monday 17 November 2003 04:37 pm, Jon M. Moss wrote:
>
> > I'm finally taking the plunge and hooking up to Road
> > Runner (DSL not available where I'm at).
>
> This is a GOOD thing, RR is a lot better than
> home-grade DSL.
>
> > However, this means my husband will no longer have
> > access to the Internet from work via our old dialup
> > connection.
>
> Time-Warner-Not-AOL-Anymore-formerly-American-Cablevision-RoadRunner
> has dial-up access for just this sort of deal.

Lemme tell ya about TWC's special "dial-up" access.

It doesn't exist as part of regular RoadRunner Service!

You have to pay them another $15-$20 a month for dialup service, in
addition to whatever you're paying them for RoadRunner.

And if you're now making some comparisons between their "dial-up" service
fees and cheaper ISP rates, uh-huh, you've run into the brick wall I ran
into awhile back when Freesco and the older machine I had wouldn't do a
RAS properly and I couldn't afford an alternative.

> It's odd these days that he would be able to tie up a voice
> line with an un-monitored dial-up connection but not be
> able to tunnel or check mail.

And there's another question I have for him: clearly he's got a phone
line to use for dial-out at work, but how much is a spare line for use at
home solely for the RAS?  $35 a month or more, probably.  He's not going
to want to tie up the ONLY home phone line with his Internet, is he?

So they're spending $35 a month for a phone line to dial into existing RR
access with a RAS...when he could be spending $10-$15 a month for a local
ISP and not tying up any of their home phone lines!

Yes, Remote Access Servers are cool, but don't let their coolness take up
an extra $20-$25 a month which isn't needed for what he will be doing
with his Internet!  Personally, if I needed Internet access that badly
from work and already had a dial-out line for use at work, I'd pay the
$10-$15 a month for the ISP rather than the $35 for the second line.

$20 a month works out to $240 a year, or enough to upgrade a mainboard,
double your RAM, buy a new 200GB hard drive, or even purchase a new DVD-R
drive.  $240 can make some serious upgrades!

$240 also buys a Romantic Getaway package at "The Elms" in Excelsior
Springs, including a couples massage, dinner for two, and overnight
accomodations.