OT- Computer Diagnostics

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Nov 7 09:16:22 CST 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 21:07:55 -0600 Jonathan Hutchins
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:
> On Thursday 06 November 2003 08:04 pm, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> > >Since the new drive went in the system freezes
> > >regularly. This happens randomly and often enough that
> > >she uses her boy friend's system for school work.
>
> > I can look at it.  Email me off list.  Probably a bad IDE cable or
> > a misconfiguration somewhere such as the BIOS.
>
> About the right vintage for bad capacitors on the motherboard,
> particularly in
> the power regulation section.
>
> Labor at a good shop is $60+/hr these days, what's it worth to save
> the scraps?

How good is the computer?  You might be able to find a better used
computer for a lot less than a repair shop will charge.

You might also be better off if you just have some shop do a general
diagnostic to find out the bad part(s).  Then just replace the bad
part(s) yourself.  They should be able to pull off the diagnostic in less
than an hour.