No G for Linux

cdowns cdowns at drippingdead.com
Tue May 27 03:02:42 CDT 2003

If you dont mind 802.11b I would highly suggest the demarc reliawave and
90db antenea, I have used this for several wireless pen-test in Linux
and BSD. here is the link on howto set it up which Demarc posted my
howto ;) and the info on the card. This is a rock solid card und uses
the prism 2.5 chipset ;) basically the hackers choice heh.

card ->
http://www.demarctech.com/products/reliawave-rwz/reliawave-rwz-200mw-prism2-5-pcmcia-card.html

antenea ->
http://www.demarctech.com/products/reliawave-antennas/SPDG11F.html

howto ( debian installation ) ->
http://www.demarctech.com/techsupport/rw-wireless-cards-support/debian-linux-wireless-setup.htm

~!>D

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>With the prices of 802.11g cards coming in at about the same as the 11a cards,
>and within $30 of the 11b's, I thought I'd take the plunge.  A quick
>comparison-shop at Best Buy and CompUSA got me a pair of Linksys units at the
>latter, a PCI card w/ external antenna for $79.99 and a PCMCIA for $69.99.
>
>The first stumbling block was the PCI card.  My firewall system wouldn't boot
>with the card installed.  Hmm, niether, for that matter, would a spare lab
>system.  Back to CompUSA.
>
>New card boots fine, although it doesn't fit the Compaq backplane very well.
>
>So hackety hack, up2date wireless-tools, google google google and guess what?
>
>The Linksys cards run a Broadcom chipset, for which there is no Linux driver.
>For that matter, the only other chipset I found mentioned is the Intel
>Centrino chipset, and according to the buzz niether manufacturer has released
>specs for driver development yet.
>
>According to the people who have written other wireless drivers, the problem
>is that the driver has the ability to set arbitrary frequencies outside the
>allowable range, and the manufacturers are afraid that if we allow Linux
>people to hack them, they'll start snooping government transmissions or
>interfering with something.
>
>To top it all off, for some reason the PCMCIA card won't install on my NT4
>laptop, which was going to be the test portable, so I guess it's back to
>CompUSA tomorrow and back to the drawing board for me.
>
>I it'll be 11a or b.  Suggestions for cards and sources?  I would love to have
>an external antenna (native, not Duane's frankentenna) for the PCMCIA.
>
>P.S.:  I presume kcwireless is 11b?

>This mail sent through tarcanfel's horde/imp system

      Network Security Engineer
      http://www.angrypacket.com
       Christopher M Downs,RHCE
     cdowns at bigunz.angrypacket.com