Netiquette

dt at xr7.org dt at xr7.org
Sat May 24 22:22:50 CDT 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
[...]
> This list has already expressed a general disinterest in rules, these aren't
> meant to be rules by which messages be moderated by someone, they're just a
> troll for guidelines that might be offered to assist people in participating.

I think these are pretty decent and get closer to the way this sort of
discussion might actually be helpful, and that is understanding WHY some
of the guidelines and practices became common.  I suppose some of that may
have already been in the thread, but I killfile'd it after about the 3rd
message.  and that is the consequence of any choice in posting things
outside the norm of the group, be it formatting or content.

> 10) Think before you post.

Never bad advice, be it to a public forum or to your boss after a
particularly bad day...

I'd add one more thing that I can't find the reference to, but it is one
of the common-sense guidelines for writing protocols (it's in an RFC
somewhere): "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you
produce."  It's not a political statement...make an effort to do the right
thing, and tolerate those who don't.

And to return us to some Linux-related content (and see if anyone actually
read this far), has anyone managed to produce a set of RedHat 9 CD's
or a kickstart tree with the updated RPMs pre-applied yet?

dt

--
Dean Troyer
dt at xr7.org