Weird Gentoo Portage Errors

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sat May 24 18:13:18 CDT 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Quoting Gerald Combs <gerald at ethereal.com>:
>
> > There's also a package called "mirrorselect" that will let you select
> > from a list of mirrors or choose a mirror automatically based on the
> > best response time.
>
> Now THAT is almost cool enough to switch to Gentoo - I've been wishing
> for that feature for a long time.  Too bad I can't spare my machine for
> a week to do an install on it right now.

It gets better.  Once you run mirrorselect with the -a option, it will
update /etc/make.conf, but that's not all!  You can have multiple mirrors
and multiple file servers in case you have part of the gentoo source tree
locally archived for fast retrieval.

mirrorselect chose gentoo.oregonstate.edu, which maxes out my cablemodem
connection at 260KBytes/sec:

dattaway at satellite redheads $ ping gentoo.oregonstate.edu
PING ftp.oregonstate.edu (128.193.0.3): 56 octets data
64 octets from 128.193.0.3: icmp_seq=0 ttl=46 time=70.9 ms
64 octets from 128.193.0.3: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=71.2 ms

--
Programming C shells by the sea shore since 1994.
http://dattaway.org