File formats anybody

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri May 23 13:28:43 CDT 2003

Adrian Gordinier wrote:

>I was just wondering what kind of preferences of file formats you guys
>out there have and why? It seems lots of distros I have tried default to
>ext3. Compared to others such as ReiserFS and XFS is ext3 faster or
>slower or more/less reliable??? Maybe I should also be asking which
>formats are better for a server or a workstation.

ReiserFS and ext3 are pretty equal in performance. Reiser has slightly
higher small file performance which is good for servers. XFS is somewhat
new on the scene. I'm somewhat leary about it because I tried it about a
year ago and a nasty journaling bug wiped out my system during a power
failure. (That's been fixed, though.)

I use Reiser because I'm a fan of Han Reiser's file system ideas and I
want to help test whatever that team puts out there. Also, when the next
ReiserFS come out, I'll be ready to upgrade.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.