Gentoo.

Rich Edelman redelman at speedscript.com
Thu May 22 20:05:53 CDT 2003

On Thursday 22 May 2003 02:28 pm, Matt G wrote:
> Spare week.....
>
> I read on the gentoo forums about some install experiences.  Sounds like,
> if you start from a stage 1 and then build xfree and kde after that, you're
> looking at weeks and weeks of compile time (depending on your machine.)
> I'm on a PIII 733 with 512mb ram.  I don't want to spend 10 days
> installing...but isn't one of the selling points of gentoo that very
> building process?  The optimizations and everything?
>
> If I start with a stage 3, and then install xfree and kde from a pre-built
> package (I assume this can be done as an alternative to building the whole
> thing), will I lose the essence of gentoo?
>
> I want to be pure, but not at the risk of having my hardware become
> outdated while I try to run an install.
>
> Matt

Well, what you could do is a stage 3 install, and a GRP install of X, Mozilla,
KDE, Gnome, or OpenOffice... that will allow you to use your system pretty
quickly, and you can always recompile things in the background to get all the
optimizations you want. Eventually, through updates and such, your entire
system gets recompiled anyway.

Rich