Gentoo.

James Sissel James.Sissel at labone.com
Thu May 22 18:25:46 CDT 2003

I've done several installs of Gentoo from both Stage1 and Stage3.  Starting
Stage 3 you compile your own Linux kernel.  You compile your own kernel so
you can have one that works for your machine instead of one of the "generic"
ones that do everything.  The whole idea of Gentoo is to customize Linux for
your box to make it better, faster, and more secure.

BTW - I compiled XFree and KDE on a 400MHz AMD K6-2.  If you don't have a
free week then don't try that.