Gentoo.

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Thu May 22 15:39:46 CDT 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Chris Wagner wrote:

> First of all, what is chroot and do I have to do it if I install the
> stage3 tarball?

chroot is simply taking a currently running linux shell and dropping it
into a new filesystem.  Kind of like a brain transplant into a new body.
You still have the same terminal interface, but your hands and feet are
the new and improved limbs of a bigger and better beast.

> The docs said that you didn't need to do an emerge rsync with the
> install since the stage3 tarball included the portage tree, whatever
> that is. I guessed that it was the directory structure, but wasn't
> completely clear on that.

The purpose of the stage three tarball is to have the whole house set up
for you, rather that just the blueprint and an empty lot as in stage1.
The rsync command rebuilds a new source tree with the latest plans and
bulldozes sections of your house that could be remodeled.  If you just
bought your brand new house, why tear it down before you moved in yet?
Only the geeks in Hollywood would tear down a perfectly good 50 million
dollar house before they move in the first day.

> I tried to follow the directions verbatim, but there just seemed to be
> something that I wasn't following right. The docs took you through the
> stage1 and stage2 installs, but I got lost in what was supposed to be
> done for the stage3.

That's because the whole house is delivered to your lot in stage3.  Not
much to do.  The postman just dumps the house off and leaves you with it.
You have to figure out how to open the door and flip the light switches.
Kind of strange if you came from the caves of Microsoft and never seen
round wheels before, not to mention the machinery to build these houses.

> Consequently, I looked at the x86 install guide and it didn't look a
> whole lot different from the ppc port, with a few exceptions, so I was
> hoping someone here might be able to tip me off to where I went wrong.

They should be pretty much the same.  Only the CPU instructions are
changed along with the pinout of the hardware.  But that's why we build
most programs with higher level languages, to abstract those details.  You
won't know the difference until you dig for the hidden details...

Does that help?

--
Programming C shells by the sea shore since 1994.
http://dattaway.org