Mounting Floppy diskette problem on Redhat 8.0

Jeffrey A. McCright jmccright2 at comcast.net
Wed May 21 20:58:38 CDT 2003

Brad,

First off the only filesystem that a floppy under windows can support is
Fat12. Secondly, fdisk will not allow you to do anything to a floppy as
fdisk is a utility (Fixed DISK) for hard drive partitioning only whether
used in Windows or Linux.

First thing to look at is the /etc/fstab. In this file you should see an
entry like:

/dev/fd0	/mnt/floppy	auto	noauto,owner,kudzu	0 0

Or something very similar. If this line is not present, insert at the
end of your /etc/fstab file.

Next, chage directories to the /mnt directory and make sure that a
directory called floppy is found there. If not, create one using the
mkdir command such as:

  mkdir floppy

Then, I would just reboot the system and when the system comes up,
insert your floppy and log in as root. Then type the following:

   mount /dev/fd0

This should mount the floppy to the mount point /mnt/floppy.

Now you should be able to change to the /mnt/floppy directory and
manipulate the files found there.

Let me know if you continue to have trouble.

Thanks,

Jeff McCright