Gini ratio

Zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue May 13 13:17:42 CDT 2003

I think that Samuel Clemmons said it best, ". . . There are Lies, Damn
lies, and Statistics . . ."

It would actually take days to really give you a decent analysis, but as
a statistics junky and an analyst I will share some of my concerns.  I
am bothered by MANY of the assumptions they make in the process of
filtering the data to arrive at their conclusions.  Also, I have been
following the economy since Nixon, and I don't really remember hearing
about this before, but I assume that is due to the complexity of the
data and the difficult  nature of the calculations.

One of the things I look at is how they portray the data.  The year to
year percentage change chart is almost useless as an indicator the way
they portray it.  The data is not really linear (hell, it doesn't even
really have any trend) but they use a line chart to represent the data
because that matches the other charts.  This tells me that the authors
are more concerned with looking good than clearly communicating the data.

It makes me wonder about what other short cuts they have taken that
don't show.